Last Friday afternoon I ate some bread that tasted of bleach. Yes, you heard me correctly. I cut into a “fresh”, “organic” wholemeal loaf from Sainsburys, cut the slice in half and buttered it. I handed Lexi one half and bit into the other. After three chews I spat out what I had in my mouth and immediately wrestled the bread off Lexi. What should have been a warm, squishy and comforting tea time snack was, instead, a mouthful of vile, toxic mush. I was horrified, and incredibly angry.
Only a few weeks earlier I experienced something similar with Clarence Court eggs in that they smelt and tasted of chlorine. Now, either I am unlucky or this a worrying sign that the chemical processing of food is on the rise. I fear the latter.